Friday, July 17, 2009

The Sound of Inspiration



I know plenty of writers who must have music on while they write. They create playlists that go mesh with their WIP.

I am not one of them.

Most of you already know that I cannot think and listen at the same time. And my mind does not tune out the music the way so many others can. But that does not mean that I am not inspired by music.

Music can create a mood, a picture, an emotion that tugs at a very basic and raw part of our souls. Something all of us are striving.

I mean - what is Jaws without those two two notes played over and over again, building up the suspense? What is E.T. without that sweltering series of notes while they fly in front of the moon?

By the way, William Joseph is old friends with my husband. His style of music is the type that inspires me to write.

How has music inspired you? Do you use music to help you write?

9 comments:

kah said...

I can't listen to music with lyrics WHILE I write, but I do hear songs that inspire moods or scenes from my stories. Blue October and Moby are probably my two biggest contributors. Geniuses as far as I'm concerned.

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

I can't listen and write either, but I love music and it does inspire me. There's a song by House of Freaks called Lonesome Graveyard that *someday*, I'll write a short story about.

...I have a long list of stuff for *someday*. ;)

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Yes! Music definitely inspires me. I don't always listen to it while I'm writing but I make playlists for certain books. I usually listen to them in the car or while I'm cleaning to motivate me to think about my manuscript.

Susan R. Mills said...

I can't listen to music while I'm writing, but it is a huge inspiration to me. Many times a song inspires a certain scene. Other times, a certain scene makes me think of a certain song. I love music!

Liana Brooks said...

It depends on my mood. I usually write when it's quiet, but there are some scenes where I need the background noise. Or I need some music playing to drown out other sounds.

It varies from day to day :o)

Jody Hedlund said...

Music totally inspires me while I write. Plus it drowns out the background noise of my family!!

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Ha! Jody, that's funny! :)

Danyelle L. said...

I'm not able to write and listen to music either. Sometimes, in the rare moments I'm listening to music, a story might appear. But it's more of a daydream than actual story.

Anonymous said...

Um, I guess I'm a little off topic here, but I just thought I'd poke my head in to say I LOVE WILLIAM JOSEPH! That's so cool your husband knows him. I've been a fan for a few years now. Plus, he's very easy on the eyes! ;)

Carry on...